Thursday 21 May 2015

Day 15: Grosmont to Robin Hood's Bay

Weather: Mostly sunny with light winds
Distance covered today: 25.6km (15.9mi)
Last night's B&B: The Gallery B&B
% Complete: Cum distance: 100%: 317.9km (197.5mi)
Total Ascent/Total Descent: 704m/ 736m
GPS satellite track of today's route: Day 15 (click!)

It’s just over a fortnight since I started the Coast-to-coast and it’s hard to believe it’s over.  In such a relatively short distance, I have experienced so many different geographies, states of mind, people and experiences that I feel really quite moved. I say a relatively short distance, because in fact the C2C isn’t really a very long walk. After all, on my LEJOG journey, I was only just north of Exeter after the same distance, but the two experiences can’t be compared. From the glory of Lakeland and the adventure on Kidsty Peak to my joyous return to the Pennines and my acquaintance with the Cleveland Hills and the North Yorkshire Moors, this has been everything I had hoped for, and more. Normally, by the end of one of these walks, I’m quite happy to return home and get on with things, but I have been so inspired by this experience that I spent some time today trying to work out what to do for an encore next year!

So what do I feel about the Coast-to-coast? In many ways it is by far the most varied of the walks I have done (LEJOG excepted), but also the most demanding. I have been at times quite amazed at how under-prepared some participants have been, with the result that sales of Compeed (blister plasters) have rocketed. Yesterday I was amused to hear one fellow from Austen, Texas, on a National Geographic guided walk, wearing sandals because he has so many blisters that he just can’t wear boots anymore, saying that no-one told him there were so many hills in England. He said that he had thought that England was all flat green fields!

Initially I was a little put off by the sheer weight of numbers and it remains true that if you want a quiet walk in the country alone with your companion or your thoughts, then the C2C is not for you. However, as time has passed and as passing acquaintances have steadily deepened, as people have visibly changed, sometimes with increased confidence and sometimes the opposite, it has all become more of an experience than I had anticipated.  As a boy, I was constantly subjected to immersive experiences, designed “to make a man of you”, mostly disagreeable, but probably effective. During most of my working years, other than the odd lunacy branded as corporate team-building, I managed to avoid that sort of thing, so it is especially strange to be hurled back into the midst of it, but among an older and much more mature set of people.  All I can say for certain, is that as the muscles have tightened and the callouses hardened, so it feels that the pain was all worth it and I feel very much healthier than when I set out. I can’t think of a better retreat in the good old Jesuit sense of the word!

Of course, I have been lucky in all sorts of ways. Though the Met Office records that the first half of May has been quite wet in the UK (as a whole the UK has had more rain in the first 17 days than the average for the month of May), the rain mostly held off, and with the exception of Kidsty Pike, the weather came mostly from astern driven by westerly winds, and for a walker that really isn’t a problem at all.

My equipment all worked perfectly and my little Garmin satnav, prepopulated with daily routes, carefully plotted by myself using the Ordnance Survey online mapping service and Martin Wainwright’s C2C guidebook, meant that despite the absence of waymarks on the C2C, I didn’t ever get lost (though of course I was helped by David and Gay on Kidsty Pike where I just couldn’t see a thing).  The magnetic compass and the barometric pressure altimeter built into my satnav have proved useful innovations.  I have learned from the experience of previous walks and I now understand that the use of decent clothing and equipment makes the whole experience both safer and more enjoyable.

Not everything was perfect. In particular, I was disappointed with the service and facilities in a number of the B&Bs along the way.  As a general rule, I have found that the more popular the route the less accommodating the B&Bs, because they have a captive clientele, which I suppose is obvious. By far the best experiences were those that were off the beaten track, where I was collected and returned to a point on the route by the proprietor. These people have to work harder for their living and they also look after customers who aren’t walkers and who expect better service, and they do receive it.  By and large, though, the standard of facilities was quite adequate: even the power showers are mightily improved from just a few years ago.  Availability of wifi in bedrooms was patchy at best, but then not everyone is a geek like me who needs permanently to be connected to the net!  Even in this area, though, things are improving, with the use of repeaters and increased understanding of the advantages to the business of having good access. Keld Lodge was by far the most outstanding experience of the trip, despite being right in the epicentre of the route. I would recommend anyone to go there even if you aren’t a walker. You will enjoy it!  The Gallery in Grosmont was a distant second.

Finally, I have heard privately that some feel that I have been a bit of a grumpy old man in these posts. I was rather disappointed to hear that, because it honestly isn’t the way I feel about it, and it must be that in expressing my thoughts too quickly, I have perhaps not reflected sufficiently on the result. My excuse can only be that the pressures of the walks, including getting all the verbiage, photos, maps and data out on time, when sleep calls and another stern test awaits tomorrow, presents something of a challenge. All I can say is that I heartily recommend the C2C to anyone who might read these notes. It is an experience you will never regret!

And so to Robin Hood’s Bay. My guide-book advised me to throw my pebble from St Bees into the North Sea and I’ve done that, including wetting my boots in its waters. It says that I have been “playing (my) part in a steady geological transfer that may one day baffle scientists”.  The book goes on to say, “Then celebrate and don’t feel let down by the absence of cheering crowds. Robin Hood’s Bay is a mecca for trippers who are unlikely to know of your amazing feat, and wouldn’t care if they did.  There may be a few, instantly recognisable, fellow ancient mariners, slumped about who will exchange yarns. And anyway, you know what you have achieved, and that is all that matters in the end.” Amen to that, and I’m off to Wainwright’s bar in the Bay Hotel to see if I can find some of my ancient mariners!!

To end, I recall the late arrival of my suitcase in Kirkby Stephen. I was talking to the attractive assistant behind the bar, telling her that I was off to take a shower, so if the suitcase did arrive, please would she not bring it into the room. The gruff, Yorkshire twang of the proprietor erupted from a dark corner, “Not to worry, mate. If she does go in, we’ll add it to yer bill!”


My beautifully appointed and decorated B&B in Grosmont last night

Elegant Victorian houses on the steep climb out of Grosmont

Everywhere there are the yellow bicycles commemorating the sensational start to last year's Tour de France

At last a lapwing!  It took ages to get him to stand still!

Eric and Jane saw me walking along the road as they passed in a car and slithered to a halt to say good-bye! Really touching!

The beautiful little village of Little Beck

The flowers are improving by the day!  A sea of Stichwort!

Chubb's eccentric cave

Falling Foss

Wooden paths over the bogs on the moors of Graystone Hills

My much missed pom-poms. They appeared all over the Pennine bogs years ago but perhaps it is too early in the season this year

How amazing a colour combination! The grey of the moors with the yellow of the gorse

The first explicit sign to Robin Hood's Bay. Relief and regret...

The Yorkshire white rose; frequently visible...
The first cliffs of the North Sea coast

Bluebells and stichwort
A hare trying to get away, but I caught him!

My first view of Robin Hood's Bay

These rocket posts were once used by the Coastguard to practice rescuing shipwrecked sailors


Victorian houses in upper Robin Hood's Bay

My B&B in the old town

Wainwright's Bar in the Bay Hotel.

My perfect pebble, about to be despatched from the Irish Sea at St Bees into the North Sea in Robin Hood's Bay

Here I am; too full of myself!

And so to sea-level!!


18 comments:

  1. Hooray and congratuations!!! Well done, Kevin, and thanks for taking us on the walk.
    As you know, Rob and I met you in the midst of your LEJOG, just a year after our C2C, and with having since learned more and more about you from your wonderful posts on subsequent walks, I was sure you would love this one. We are thrilled you did.
    Reading your summary today has left a really big lump in my throat!

    Please DO start planning the next one... xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along for the ride, Phyllis! You really were the inspiration for the trip! Though to be fair, you made it sound easier than it was in practice! I'm going to be a little suspicious of your recommendations in the future!

      By the way, Bill and Sherry are getting along just fine. They are taking a day or two extra and wisely avoided Kidsty in the extreme weather, so they should soon make it to Robin Hood's Bay. Well done, them!!

      Delete
  2. Yay Kev! Well walked and well documented. I will miss your daily reports and the vicarious pleasure of your pics. I have been inspired to check an old road atlas of the UK to follow your progress, it's again been fascinating. How about the SA coastline for a change of scene next time? I look forward to the next alert, wherever you choose to "saunter" next....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbs, but the SA coast is probably a step too far for me. I'll leave that to you lot who are made of sterner stuff. Congrats on your 100km bike ride! That takes some doing!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Kevin! Thoroughly enjoyed following your progress each morning with my early morning cuppa - informative, entertaining and lovely pics. Well done! HN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a pleasure, Her Nibs, always a pleasure to have you along for the ride, especially when real knowledge is required! Do say hi to the grumpy hobbit for me!!

      Delete
  4. Eerie mystical landscapes, the play of light and shadow, the sheer range of impressions captured beautifully by your photos. Writing which beautifully sums up and presents your observations, impressions and interactions. You give the impression that you see the walk as a metaphorical experience, a way of mulling over your path thru your own life. Maybe also, with age and maturity, you feel a greater appreciation of the value of experiences and sharing them - your readers certainly do! You immerse us wonderfully in the benefits of pursuing a joint goal, meeting the challenges, facing and overcoming difficulties, sharing emotions and impressions with others.

    Our feeling is that you have got deeper and more reflective (and less grumpy), and that your posts have a wholly different quality, than the LEJOG days.

    To accompany you in our minds in the walk – you get the blisters, we get the experience! What a wonderful treasure. We jumped forward to hear the end, but we are not thru with your journey yet, but look forward to the joys to come, before we too get to Robin Hoods Bay.

    From Yasmin and me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thank you for those encouraging comments, though, to be honest, I have my doubts that my scribbles deserve such comment. That said, I appreciate so much your constant encouragement and your friendship.

      I am currently considering whether the experience was metaphorical or metaphysical!

      Either way, it's good to be home!

      Delete
  5. Much later than the rest! We have thoroughly enjoyed your posts - you aren't grumpy - just telling it like it is with all the contrasts - loved the local humour too! We're going to miss the daily reports which have a wider audience than you may think. Well done Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wider audience than I might think??? You mean the Feds are watching me?!! Maybe I should head for Moscow airport!

      To be fair, I don't think too many people will feel threatened by my scribblings!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes he can be grumpy!! (Oh dear! Maybe I shouldn't have said that!!) But I was only expressing concern. I thought he was feeling things a bit and that it was coming through on this blog. I'm wrong! Hands up! I enjoyed the vicarious journey too, very much.

    And very glad you're on your way home, Kev. Safe journey and enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me grumpy? And just because you have lived with me for most of my life, who are you to judge? Oh dear!! Not a credible objection!!

      Delete
  7. Well done, Kev - we're most impressed. Your posts were a welcome break from my bookkeeping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baffling the geologists of the future -- heh heh.
    It doesn't take much to baffle us though.
    In my first job in Angola, I recall standing in the wild with our chief geologist, Angola, the top geologist from Johannesburg (Anglo American), and our regional chief northern Angola, and me - all staring baffled at a grey structureless outcrop of limestone in a place where we expected no such thing.
    It was some time before we realised that is was a pile of cement bags that had been left out in the field and forgotten. Over some years, the paper bags had disintegrated and the cement had hardened into rock.
    I can imagine future geologists finding these out of place Kevin transported igneous pebbles amongst the sandstones of Robin Hood Bay and scratching their collective heads.

    Makorokoto baba.
    Maszvika.
    Makatipa zvipo zakawanda.
    Tinofara kukuziva.
    Tatenda.

    A heartfelt thank you in Shona language.
    The short sentences are a reflection of my lack of fluency in the language!

    Congratulations father,
    You have arrived.
    You have given us great gifts.
    We are happy that we know you.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful comment, Richard, and such a pleasure to share Stonehenge with you last week! Not so sure about the great gifts! I think I was the recipient!

      Delete
  9. Hello and belated congratulations on another huge achievement. I only managed to read your final post today, for reasons I won't bore you with, but as always its great to have been a party to your travels, trials, and thoughts.
    Hope the aching joints and feet are relaxing on home turf, and look forward to what is planned for the next session...
    BW
    GH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, your comments have been much appreciated! Thanks for reading the blog! The joints ache less right now after a little rest, and indeed my thoughts do turn to the next adventure? But where????

      Delete